Regional Trading Hub
Sri Lanka is strategically located at the cross roads of both east and west sea routes and serves as the point of entry to South Asia.
* According to the Lloyds Register the Colombo Port ranks as No. 01 port of South Asia and the 26th in the World.
* Throughput has grown at a compound annual rate of 20.3% over the last seven years.
* Transshipment cargo accounts for 72% of throughput.
* 23 major shipping lines and 7 feeder services operate out of Colombo.
* The Colombo Port is computerized and linked to all major freight stations.
The Hub Port of South Asia offers you:
* An ideal geographical location with minimum deviation from shipping lines.
* Fully equipped berths for late container vessels.
* Excellent feeder network.
* Fast turnaround and round the clock service.
* EDI facilities with two modern container terminals, with state of the art technology and control systems.
* The most competitive rates in the region.
* Multi country consolidation and entrepot cargo.
* Flexibility to meet customer needs
Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA)
The BIA is a regional hub of air transportation and is considered to be # 1 in South Asia.
* Major airlines operate frequent flights from BIA to important cities in Europe, Middle East, Far East, Australia, and the Indian Sub Continent.
* Passenger movement at BIA has increased from 2,234,962 in 1995 to 2,880,387 in 2000, a 29% increase.
* The cargo movements at BIA has increased from 76,312 tonnes in 1995 to 127,116 tonnes in 2000 respectively, a marked 76% increase.
* The aircraft movement in the same period has increased from 16,543 to 21,058, a 27% increase.
Global Logistics Hub
Sri Lanka will be developed as a major Global Logistics Hub in the South Asian region for trade, investment, communications, and financial services. Known as the Colombo Freeport, it will provide integrated air, sea and road services linked to state of the art distribution parks.
Key Features of Colombo Freeport:
* Distribution parks at air and seaports
* Quality physical infrastructure facilities
* Warehousing & administration facilities
* Superior IT/telecom facilities
* Public/private participation
* One-stop service centre
* Private sector management
* Attractive incentives for operators and users
Key Activities of Colombo Freeport:
* Multi-country consolidation
* Regional distribution
* Entrepot trading
* Import/export and value addition